Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dimensional Characters... Please meet Mine!

It's time you met the characters of Dangerous Disguise!  Of course, to really get to know them, you'll need to get the book:) But each character has so much more to their lives then the length and pacing a book will allow us to show.

For instance...I love to cook and to eat, and so do several of my characters, so in Dangerous Disguise, Janet Malone, an Irish Immigrant, who my heroine, Kate McShane stays with in the Idaho Territory, will share her recipes on my blog! She's an amazing cook, and makes appetizing and filling meals with the limited supplies in the Northwest of 1888.

Janet, her husband, Kerry and their children Maura and Kyle, have lived in Hope, Idaho Territory for 7 years at the time of my story, so she has established a functioning household and farm. Janet has a milk cow; a yard of chickens, both for laying and for meat; a sow (mother pig) who brings them wiener pigs every spring to supply them fresh pork in the fall and to sell to neighbors, or to Mr. White's mercantile, in the form of salt pork, smoked hams and Bacon.
Janet also raises a garden each year, and maintains and herb garden she started the year after she moved to Hope. I hope you enjoy her recipes!
Ruth, has served as a nanny to Will Howland, seven year old son of Ethan Howland, who moved to Hope from Virginia after his wife ran off with this best friend. Ruth's a great cook and homemaker, and can't wait until she can return to her finance, Horace, who has moved from Richmond to Boston in his newspaper career.
Mrs. White owns the boarding house and cafe. She makes the most scrumptious scones! (As a gluten free  person, I'll even share my own flavorful tips for gluten free scones:)
I hope you ride along with me on this journey about Kate McShane, finding adventure, love and good friends. Along the way, we'll learn more about the historic Northwest and the strong women who helped settle it. Please look for my continuing posts with recipes and life in the 1880's-1890's Pacific Northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment